Monday, October 8, 2012

UPDATE: President Obama Thanks Katzenbergs For 'Tireless' Support; Weinstein, MacFarlane & Clooney Also At Donor Dinner After LA Concert

W.H. Pool Report - Shortly after 8pm pool went through the lobby to an elevator at the adjoining Ritz Carlton and to the 24th floor, arriving at the aptly named WP24. Attendees seated at about a dozen round tables, 10 people per table, were finishing plates of dim sum as pool arrived in the dimly-lit room, with views outside blocked by dark curtains. Bold faced names spotted by poolers: George Clooney, newly-minted Oscars host Seth, and Harvey Weinstein ' all at the same table closest to where POTUS spoke. POTUS entered the room at 8:25pm, along with Mayor Julian Castro, who made a brief introduction.

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you, everybody.  Thank you.  (Applause.)  Thank you so much.  Everybody, please have a seat.  First of all, you just heard from the future of the Democratic Party ' the great Mayor of San Antonio, Julian Castro.  (Applause.)  We're so proud of him.

There are so many people I could thank tonight, so I'm just going to focus on three individuals.  First of all, my unbelievable Southern California co-chairs ' John Emerson and Ken Solomon.  Please give them a big round of applause.  (Applause.)  They have been tireless in their efforts.  They have been unbelievable.

The other person that I want to acknowledge in particular ' because I said this to them privately, I've got to say it publicly ' Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg have been ' (applause) ' they have been tireless and stalwart and have never wavered through good times and bad since my first presidential race, back when a lot of people still couldn't pronounce my name. (Laughter.)  And I will always be grateful to them for just the incredible support that they've given.  So thank you very much.  (Applause.)  Thanks, both of you.

Some of you are aware that ' well, all of you are aware that Michelle and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary.  (Applause.)  And the actual anniversary date was not that romantic.  (Laughter.)  There was some speculation as to whether this had an impact on my performance.  (Laughter.)  But I did make it up to her on Saturday.  We went out to dinner, a date night.  And it was a wonderful evening.  It was a private room, because people kind of lean over and start listening if we're in the booth next to them.  (Laughter.)  And Secret Service gets nervous.  (Laughter.)

And we had this wonderful young waiter, and he brought us all our stuff, and he was patient with us as we were dawdling over the menu.  And we were milking it for all it was worth because we don't get out that often.  But at the end of the dinner ' it was very professional, very unobtrusive ' but at the end of the dinner he just said, I wanted to just say how much I appreciate you because you saved my mother's life ' because my mother had a stroke, she wasn't yet qualifying for Medicare, and because of the Affordable Care Act, we were able to get her coverage that allows her to take her medicines and is keeping her alive. And it reminded me of why we do this.  I am a fairly competitive guy.  Clooney has played basketball with me.  (Laughter.)  And I don't like to lose ' especially not to actors.  (Laughter.)

MR. CLOONEY:  We were on the same team.  (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT:  We were on the same team.  I put him on the team ' and we did win.

MR. CLOONEY:  That's right, we did.

THE PRESIDENT:  And so sometimes during the course of campaigns, we get caught up in the sport of politics, and the ups and the downs, and doing the this and the that, and how much money did we raise and how many doors have we knocked on.  And all that's important, but it is in service of that waiter, Anthony's mom'.

W.H. Pool Report ' After the remarks concluded pool immediately ushered out and to the vans. Motorcade was rolling out of downtown at 8:45pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment